The first letter for term 2 week 1 was letter l – lion. The lion is one of the animals we saw during topic work which has a two coloured pattern in its mane, orange and yellow.
As you got used to by now we use our magic window on the interactive white board to find some words which start to this letter. We also take a close look at a picture which has objects starting with the letter in question.
Finally the children brainstormed for other words which start with letter sound l. Here is the final result – light, lamp, lion, leg, lip, lemon, leaf, letter, lollipop, lick and ladder, letters and lizard.
The children also follow the Jolly phonics story for the letter l sound:
Some children are at a birthday party. There are lots of balloons and some lovely food. They eat little cakes and drink some lemonade. One girl wins ’pin the tail on the donkey’ and gets a lime lollipop as a prize. She licks her lollipop /l,l,l,l/.
Jolly Phonic Rhyme Letter l sound
The children pretend to lick a lollipop making a continuous /l,l,l,l,l,l/.
Letter l formation
- Step 1 – Start at the top, go down
- Step 2 – And tail
As is the usual routine the children practice their letter l formation on the scrapbook
Practice Ideas for Home
- You can give them a handful of magnetic letters which they stick on a board. Then they have to remove the letter of the day from the batch. In this case letter l.
- You can practice the letter formation by using a white board and colourful washable markers using the steps above.
- You can place about 5 objects or pictures on the table, amongst which you have objects starting with the letter l sound.
- Say the name of each object emphasizing and exaggerating the first letter sound of each object and ask your child if that object or picture starts with the letter sound l. This is a skill which needs loads of practice, so don’t get worried if they do not understand exactly what this means. Praise at this point is very important to build their confidence 🙂