As you might have guessed from the topic work blog one of the letters for this week was z – zebra.
We used the book we read in the circle time Zack the Zebra to find other words which start with this letter sound. The words that the children found were the following: zebra, zig zag, zoo, zucchini and Zack.
With the help of the magic window they came up with their own list of words: zip, zero, zebra crossing, They definitely did not forget to mention Zara 🙂
The Jolly phonics story for the letter z sound is this:
A girl (we called her Zoya) is playing outside with her toy zebra. She watches a bumblebee which is buzzing around the daisies. As it goes from flower to flower, it makes a loud buzzing sound /z,z,z,z/.
Jolly Phonic Rhyme Letter z sound
The children pretend to be the bees. They tuck in their elbows and flap their arms like wings, making a continuous / z,z,z,z,/.
Letter z formation
- Step 1 – Start at the top, go across
- Step 2 – slant down to the left
- Step 3 – Go across
As is the usual routine the children practiced their letter z formation in the scrapbook. The craft associated with this letter was a z cutout. This was the body of the zebra.
They then added a pattern using black strips of paper as stripes (7 in all). They also added the eyes, mouth and the mane which had a pattern in itself.
Z songs –
Practice Ideas for Home
- You can give them a handful of magnetic letters which they stick on a board. Then they have to remove the letter of the day from the batch. In this case letter z.
- You can practice the letter formation by using a white board and colourful washable markers using the steps above.
- You can place about 5 objects or pictures on the table, amongst which you have objects starting with the letter z
- Say the name of each object emphasizing and exaggerating the first letter sound of each object and ask your child if that object or picture starts with the letter sound z. This is a skill which needs loads of practice. Praise at this point is very important to build their confidence 🙂