We started off our literacy lessons by revising the initial letter sounds by using the names of various countries in the video clip below:
We then moved on to the first and only letter for this week f for flag.
Besides getting to know about the importance and meaning of flags the children also got to think about words which start with this letter sound. These are some of the words they came up with: floor, fairy, face, frog, flower, finger, fox, fish, fire, fire engine, foot, first, follow, fly and five.
The children practiced writing letter f on the interactive whiteboard. As usual they practiced writing this letter on their workbooks too. This is how the pages looked like:
I also stressed the following points to help the children get the correct formation:
- Letter f is not written in one motion. We lift the pencil from the paper after the down motion.
- We always start from the top where there is the dot and NOT from the bottom.
- The nod is not too big and not too small.
- Letter f has a tall body.
- The across part cannot be only one side but half on the left and half on the right.
The jolly phonics letter f song –
After we finished working the usual pages with letter f we worked a page with the first letter sounds f, a, s, and e.