Letter k for kite is another letter from the one-armed robot group which by now you are quite familiar with from previous blogs.
This was a difficult letter to work with when it comes to mentioning words starting with k because even the c for cat has the same sound. So when the children mentioned words like cat, car I still praised them and told them that these words started with the sound c but we use the caterpillar c instead.
K words the children came up with by playing question and answer were king, kitten, kiss, key, keyboard, kangaroo and kitchen.
Writing Letter k
In one of the earlier blogs I mentioned that we write letter k in a different way then we see it written in books. We write it the cursive way to help the children join their letters in the future. The success criteria for writing letter k are shown in one of the pages below.
The children practiced writing it on the interactive whiteboard as well as in their workbooks. This is how the pages looked like:
I also stressed the following points to help the children get the correct formation:
- Letter k is written in one motion. We do not lift the pencil from the paper whilst writing it.
- We always start from the top where there is the dot and NOT from the bottom.
- Letter k has a tall back just like the letter h.
- We try and go back up to the middle, put a pointy finger in the middle of the line and start the loop.
- The loop is round and not any other shape.
- The kick is not very long or very short.
The letter k song:
We will be working more k pages next week.