I am posting the photos that we managed to take during Open Day.
Thank you to all those who could attend. It was lovely seeing you work hand in hand with your little loved ones.
They were proud to have you in their class. For all those who could not make it thank you for giving the opportunity to your children to join in and not miss out. They really had a lovely day too. The photos are evidence of this.
I am posting them all as there might in be your child in one and not the other. It was impossible to select one photo for each child.
We will be putting your lovely creations together and hang them up for your children to enjoy.
You will see them in the photos I will eventually post. Unfortunately we do not have photos of the garden patch visit under the Flutterby area as we were pressed for time.
As you all know from the school calendar of events and the emails that Ms. Karen has been sending you Friday 18th May will mark another important day at our school – Open Day.
All the sectors have been putting their heads together to make this a successful day from which all the students will benefit. The best thing is that you can all be part of it as well. A little from a lot will make this project possible. We are all so excited to make this happen 🙂
I am summarizing the major points and queries that you might have pertaining to the pre-junior sector.
- We need as many parents/grandparents/aunties/uncles to attend and help as possible. We understand that a few might not make it due to work or other reasons.
- Although some parents may not attend please do send your children to school. We have fun activities lined up for them and they will be in our care like any other school day. So don’t worry. I will explain to these children that their parents cannot attend. They will enjoy their school day just the same.
Main aim of the activities held out during the day.
To embellish the school outdoor areas and utilize them for learning in a fun way.
Where do the Pre-Juniors fit in?
- The 3 pre-junior classes will be in charge of creating sensory and activity boards and panels which will be stuck to the outdoor areas which we share with Flutterby.
- We will also be creating story stone which we will be using for literacy sessions outdoors.
Other activities we will be participating in.
- We will be visiting the outdoor areas were other works would be taking place. We will see parts of the project come together such as the water wall, ball wall etc. Areas our children will be using too 🙂
- They will be doing some planting in the new gardening area assigned for our use along with Flutterby.
- There will also be fundraising activities to help cover the cost of materials we will be using to create resources in the various areas. These will include the possibility of participating in Fun Fair activities (bouncy castles/inflatable slides, face painting, games and rides) and the sale of food, ice-cream and smoothies.
Parents and relatives coming on the day.
- Children are to be brought to school as usual.
- Parents are encouraged to attend mass in memory of Mrs. Midolo which will take place at 8.30 am on the school turf grounds. Only the upper junior students and the senior school will attend.
- Pre-junior children will remain in class along with those parents not going for mass to participate in circle time.
- The first part of the morning we will be working on the sensory/activity boards and the story stones. So adults in class will be helping in sorting the material provided, gluing things to the boards, manning the story stones, cutting any papers, cloth needed, reading books to the children etc (we will guide the people in charge of the different sections).
- Later on in the morning parents will be allotted time to take their children to the Fun Fair and have some fun together in the various fun activities provided. They can also grab a bite from the food stalls lined up for the day.
Parents and Relatives Who Cannot Come
- Please do send the children if you cannot attend. They will be working on the boards and the stones like all the rest in class. They will feel part and parcel of this big project and own it. We will be taking care of them ourselves like we usually do.
- All that we need you to do is this: Please send in NOT MORE than 10 euros in a sealed envelope with your child’s name, class and an indication of the rides and food you would like your child to do/have. We will be taking them to the stalls ourselves.
Help – We are asking Pre-Junior children to kindly help us in the sale of smoothies by donating
- 3 fruits by Thursday 17th May. Ideally these should be 2 oranges and 1 other fruit (preferable a banana or a kiwi or a handful of strawberries.
Sensory activity boards
As you can imagine we need a lot of resources to put together the sensory/activity boards’ project I mentioned in the beginning of the blog. It would be of great help if you happen to have any of the items below in good condition tucked away in the garage or in a box or maybe a business where you can supply a small amount of the items listed.
Items required for the activity boards –
- Bottle caps, pieces of different textured fabric, shoes laces, velcro pieces, large buckles, zips, rope, cord, pegs, sand paper, kitchen sponges, tracing paper, wool, pompoms, bendable pipes, reflective mirror effect pieces of aluminum or other such material, electric tape of various colours, acrylic paint, clear varnish for outdoors, paint brushes.
- Clothes and other items that your child has outgrown, jackets with zips, shoes with velcro straps or laces.
- Little gadgets like a hamster wheel, small squeaky toys.
Items required for the outdoor area.
- A few pebbles for the story stones we will be doing in class for the outdoor areas.
- Empty plant pots and trays.
- Child friendly gardening tools such as spades, watering jugs and buckets.
- Seeds or seedlings.
- Old kitchen utensils such as pots, pans, plastic utensils, small funnels, baking tins, and other plastic containers. These will be utilised in our music wall and also in the Mud Kitchen which is currently already in place.
- Toys like xylophone, old abacus counter etc.
I am posting a few pictures for you to get an idea of what our project will be like and the items needed.
If you have any other items which are not in the list and you think we can use them just let me know and I will tell you if they are valid for our boards.
Very Important –
- Please send in the forms that Ms. Karen emailed to you. This has to be filled up whether you are attending Open Day or not. It can be printed or hand written. This gives us a clear idea of how to man the project and how many children will be coming to school without their parents.
- Please get a good pair of scissors just in case you will be cutting any material.